Friday, September 3, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad McA!

{Psst...If you're looking for the conclusion of my Alaska mini-series, read this post first & then click here.}

I happen to think I have it pretty good when it comes to the in-law department. In addition to raising 2 wonderful sons (one of which I'm lucky enough to call my hubby), they have embraced me as a part of the McA fam & loved me like a daughter.

My father-in-law, Mark, is celebrating his 58th birthday today & of course, I wanted to give him a shout-out here on the old blogsky. I hope to be as active & awesome as him when I hit 58 one day!

The photo on the left is one of my favorite memories with Dad Mac. It was taken a little over a year ago at the conclusion of the Chicago Triathlon.


Matt had already moved to Chapel Hill, but I finishing up my job in Chicago & living with the McAndrews. Before NC was even in our plans, I had registered for the Chicago Tri, & I fully expected that my #1 cheerleader (Matt) would be there. Since Matt had just started classes @ UNC & couldn't jump on a plane to come cheer me on, Dad stepped up to the plate.

In the weeks leading up to the race, he was my pace car on the Prairie Path (bike path in the western 'burbs). He's much faster on a bike than I am, so I needed him to push me along. On race day, he woke up at the crack of dawn & drove me downtown. I saw him at every leg of the race. He was there to give me a high-five as I got out of freezing cold Lake Michigan at the end of my swim, & he was also waiting for me at the finish line of my run!
One of my favorite parts of the day was the time we spent after the race. We had to wait several hours before I could pick up my bike, so we walked along the lakefront & played tourist for a while. When I look at these photos, I miss Chicago. But more than the city, I miss our family & wish that we could be with them on special days like today.
 Happy Birthday, Dad! 
We miss you & love you tons!
Love, Matt & Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...